Masur dal,also called as red lentil.Dal is a favourite staple food for any Indian,dal and rice are called comfort food.Craving for dal can never go,a piping hot dal with spoonful of ghee and you will ask for more.
Dals are all split one’s or dhuli dal.Most important staple food in South Asian countries.
Nutritional value of a cooked dal contains 9% protein 7% water 20% carbohydrates and 1% fat.
Cooking dal is quite simple and to enhance the taste we give tadka to it.
Today’s recipe is about Masur dal and how to cook it with a lovely tadka.
Let’s see what goes in making this…
- 1 cup masur dal
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 green chillies or according to taste
- 1/4 tablespoon haldi powder
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 tablespoon rai/mustard seeds
- Oil/ghee for tadka
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 tablespoon hing/asofoetida
- Take a pressure cooker pour oil or ghee in it
- Add rai and let it splatter
- Add in green chillies onions and saute till soft
- Add in ginger-garlic paste
- Cook for seconds
- Chop tomatoes and add in
- Saute for a minute
- Now,add in the given spices along with hing
- Saute for another minute
- Once spices have been sauted add in masur dal
- Give it a mix
- Add water with salt
- Close the lid
- Pressure cook for 3 whistle
- Once the cooker has cooled down open the lid
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve it hot with rice or roti
- Masur dal with simple ingredients is ready
- Enjoy it
- Until then keep exploring….