Years may come go, it’s the festival and traditions that makes us go on with life. Celebration means good food , love and happiness. All festivals be it any in the world mean get together of some sort, but from past one year the term social gathering has become a curse for all, we all know and are going through this pandemic, we all are done with it but the virus is still there, so may be it’s kind of difficult but with hope in my mind every sunset has a sunrise to follow.
We can wait few more year to celebrate festivals like we did, earlier with all positive thoughts. Holi is here , as we can’t celebrate this , but we can cook all the sweets for our loved ones.
I am posting recipes here in hope that you can atleast cook and enjoy your day.
Gujiya is a very traditional dessert in North India. Holi and Diwali are incomplete with gujiya. If one has missed out gujiya in Diwali, making them in Holi is a must.
At at home gujiya is offered to Lord Krishna as Prasad and then one starts playing Holi.
What is Gujiya?
Gujiya is a sweet dumpling made of refined flour and stuffed with sweet mawa/khoya.
Alternate to Mawa/ Khoya
You can use Suji/ Rawa Semolina in place of mawa. Jaggery/ Gudd ki gujiya are also loved my everyone in our house. I do have a recipe if you might like Purvanchal recipes for more
Mawa/ Khoya Gujiya
Ingredients you will need….
- 200 grams khoya/ Mawa
- 175 grams sugar (powdered)
- 2 tablespoon sonth powder/Ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon elaichi powder/ Cardamom powder
- 75 grams dry fruit (powdered)
- Ghee or oil for deep frying
- 300 grams Refined flour
- 2 tablespoon oil for shortening or moyan
- 1 cup Water for kneading dough
- Take a bowl add flour, oil and water knead a soft dough. Cover it with wet cloth and let it rest.
- Take another bowl add khoya, sugar, dry fruit, elaichi powder and sonth powder. Mix this well. Taste the mixture and adjust sugar accordingly.
- Stuffing for gujiya is ready and the dough also is ready.
- Pull a small portion of the dough like lemon size and roll into a disc with the help of rolling pin.
- Take the gujiya maker sprinkle some flour and place the rolled dough over it , add one tablespoon of the stuffing on the dough and seal it
- Press the edges well so that the mixture doesn’t come out while frying.
- Prepare all the gujiya in same manner and keep, cover it with wet cloth.
- Heat kadai with oil and deep fry one to two gujiya at a time , till light brown in colour.
- Khoya Gujiya is ready for serving.
- Easy and simple sweet to make on any occasion. Hope you liked the recipe
- Until then keep exploring…….
Sprinkle some flour on gujiya maker
Sprinkling flour on the gujiya maker helps the roll from sticking on it.