There are times when I do wonder why it took me so long to eat this… Hahaha, actually it’s this recipe.
Ladakh cuisine is the same as Tibet cuisine because of the geographical region. The food here is non-spicy and heavy on carbohydrates. This is how each and every state makes India so diverse and rich in culture.
It is a stew made up of root vegetables and cooked in milk. Barley is the staple flour of this region. If visiting Ladakh do try this traditional/local recipe if you get a chance. Meanwhile, you can try this at home as well.
In Ladakh milk is called omaskyu oma means milk.
Healthy and wholesome I say Healthy because of pasta which is made using whole wheat/barley flour. Fresh and loaded with veggies.
Don’t get confused for skyu and Thukpa both are different because of the noodles and pasta used.
The simplicity and freshness of this recipe will blow your mind.
If you are thinking of cooking something simple, easy and quick this is the recipe for you.
Surprise your guests with this dish, they will definitely love your versatility here.
Quickly let’s get the recipe now
#purvanchaltadka #foodblogger #skyurecipe
Ingredients for the pasta
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Water for kneading the dough
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for gravy
- 1/2 cup carrot chopped in cubes
- 1/2 cup green peas/ Matar
- 1 potato cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- 1 tablespoon spring onion greens
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or according to taste
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 to 3 green chilli slits long
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk/ Regular milk
- Take flour in a bowl add salt oil and water, and knead a soft dough
- Roll in with a pin cut long stripes
- Pinch an inch of the stripes and make small thumb size pasta by pressing your thumb in the pasta to shape it
- Let the rest
- Heat a pan with oil and butter
- Add in onions and the green onions saute
- Then add ginger the vegetables cook for a few seconds
- Add in green chilli and spring onions green part
- Now add water with garam masala powder,black pepper powder and salt
- Let it boil for a few minutes
- Add the pasta in it cover for 10 minutes and cook
- Open the lid once the pasta is floating on the surface this recipe is ready
- Pour in coconut milk or regular milk
- And boil for a few seconds more
- Boil till the consistency you want for the soup.
- Skyu is ready to be served with a twist
Leave a Reply