Lauki barfi is a complete Desi mithai which one could find in every sweet shop in Purvanchal.
Lauki is grown in abundance in this region, so this sweet was common among rich and poor. Though it’s vanishing now, as many don’t prefer eating them anymore. I can remember my childhood day’s when we use to go for marriages and this mithai was served, where as a kiddo I did not like this mithai after knowing that it was made with lauki 😀
“The older you are the wiser ” and now I realize it value. My son loves this mithai and my daughter is still shying away from this barfi.
In good old days this mithai was made with sugar syrup only, which made them really very hard. The reason for this was to make them last for months, as this was send with daughters as their goodies after marriage and in those days returning to mother’s place after marriage was not imagined coz no way of transportation was there during those times.
But as time has passed on this recipe has changed a bit by using mawa. Which does enhance the taste a lot, but the shelf life is restricted. I am so happy to be writing about this yummy mithai and saving the recipe for next generation to come.
So let’s get the recipe
Lauki ki Barfi
- half kg lauki grated and seeds removed
- half kg mawa/khoya
- 100 grams sugar or as per sweetness
- 4 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tbsp elaichi powder
- few drops kewra essence(optional)
- Green colour this is optional
- kaju/cashewnuts for garnishing
- Heat kadhai with ghee,saute lauki till light brown in colour
- Add sugar and let it melt,flame should be medium
- Once sugar has melted completely and starts drying
- Add in mawa/khoya and cook till the mixture dries up completely leaving the pans sides.
- off the flame and add in kewra essence,elaichi powder and green colour
- Mix it very well
- Grease a plate and spread the mixture evenly
- spread kaju on the mixture
- apply a cut on the mixture when it is still hot
- Chill it in the refrigerator for one hour
- cut into pieces and serve
- This mithai I had made on Krishna Janmasthami as bhog.
- A simple and easy homemade is ready for all the festive occasions.
- Hope you loved this this recipe,do like and comment your views.
- you can even give star rating to the recipe,this could make my day.
- Thanks for stopping by and reading till here
- Until then keep exploring…….
- You can notice colour differnce in the barfi as after refrigeration ghee makes the colur light.