India is a country with so much diversity, be it in culture, language or food. Chutneys or say Dips have been in our culture for ages. To make any food more appealing and full of flavours. Chutney can make or break any dish.
The one today I am sharing is Tomato chutney made with simple ingredients, a very famous South Indian recipe. Which only requires tomato and onion with some Tadka in it. Goes well with appe, dosa, idli.
Tomatoes should be ripped ones for you to get that colour and texture. We want full red tomatoes. Spiciness can be adjusted to ones palate, so add red chilli accordingly. To get the best flavour use coconut oil for frying. I was introduced to tomato chutney by my husband, who’s colleague use to bring this in his lunch box. He got the recipe from him.
What kind of Tomatoes to use?
Use only ripped ones here, to get the perfect colour and texture.
Any specific oil to use?
I would suggest if you are comfortable with coconut oil then cook in it, if not go for refined oil or ground nut oil.
Let’s start cooking
#purvanchaltadka #foodblogger #tomatochutney
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 to 5 garlic
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 3 to 4 dry red chilli
- Heat oil in a pan add urad and chana dal saute till light brown
- Add in red chilli, garlic, ginger,curry leaves with onion
- Cook till onions are transparent
- Now add in tomatoes with salt and water
- Cook till tomatoes get mushy
- Off the flame and let it cool down
- Grind it to a fine paste
- Remove it in a serving bowl
- Now take another pan pour oil and heat it Add mustard seed let it crackle
- Add urad and chana dal with curry leaves
- Your Tadka is ready Pour it on the chutney and enjoy
- Hope you loved this recipe
- Until then keep exploring…
Sign up for updates
Leave a Reply