Lagdava in Awadhi language is for lentil cooked with vegetable .Instead of making sabzi at times one feels like cooking every thing together and this is one such recipe for you to relax and enjoy the flavour.Most favourite lagdava are the pumpkin and lauki one in our house,though kids get a little cranky at times with lauki ,thats ok.Real taste of this dal comes when cooked on chulha or woodfire,but living in cities we can’t enjoy that,still can cook this yummy lagdava.To be very frank here me too use to not like this dal as a kid,but now its a different story.
In earlier days when men use to work in fields and women had many work related to crops like cleaning, sorting and many more in this case ladies would cook vegetable with dal for the desired nutrition and would be free with the cooking.just imagine lentils itself is full of protien and by adding veggies the nutrition level would double.
Let’s cook this Kohda ka lagdava a tribute to all the grannys …..
Kohda ka Lagdava/Pumpkin dal
- 1 cup tuvar dal
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tablespoon haldi powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- salt according to taste
- 2 green chillies
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/4 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin(cut into large cubes )
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- pinch of hing
- Salt as per taste
- First wash tuvar dal
- Heat ghee in cooker
- Add mustard seeds let them splatter
- Once done add in green chillies/red chillies with ginger-garlic paste,saute it
- Add in chopped onions and cook till soft
- Add in hing and chopped kohda/pumpkin n tomato
- saute it for a while
- Now add in all the spices given except salt
- Add tuvar dal mix it
- Pour in the water for the desired consistency
- Add salt
- Close the lid
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles
- Off the flame and let cooker cool down
- Open the lid garnish with coriander leaves
- The aroma of this dal will make you indulge it straightaway….
- Have them with rice or roti or just as a soup any way it tastes best.
- Hope you liked the recipeUntil then keep exploring…..
Categories: purvanchali recipe