This recipe you will find only in the Purvanchal region. A simple way to give your dal that extra taste during the summers when one doesn’t like consuming much of spices. I prefer having something light and healthy which gives your digestive system some ease.
Though this recipe is getting lost, with people preferring more instant stuff.
What is khatai?
Khatai means something that tastes tangy or khatta.
How is it made?
Made using raw dry mango.
Any preferred season to make them?
Yes, khatai is made during summers as the sun is at its peak and drying the raw mango gets easy and quick.
So, let’s get the recipe
#purvanchaltadka #foodblogger #aamkikhatai
Aam ki Khatai
- 1 kg raw mangoes cut into squares
- 200 grams of coriander/dhaniya seeds
- 150 grams of fennel/ saunf seeds
- 1/2 cup jeera/ cumin
- 250 grams garlic chopped
- 4 tablespoon fenugreek/Methi seeds
- 5 to 6 tablespoons Haldi / turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup red Chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon hing/ asafoetida
- 2 tablespoon yellow mustard seed (optional)
- 1/2 cup achar masala (optional)
- 1/2 kg mustard oil or more as needed
- 1/2 cup salt or as per taste
- First, wash and peel the mango piece and sundry them till its hard for 1 week or so
- After the mangoes have dried completely store them in an airtight container before making the khatai
- Take a kadhai dry roast the spices separately.
- Like saunf, fenugreek, coriander and jeera seeds and grind to powder
- Take a grinding jar Add the garlic with some oil and grind to a paste( oil is used for quick grinding)
- Take a large vessel to add the grinded garlic paste and the spices
- With Haldi, red Chilli powder and hing
- If you are using yellow mustard seed and achar masala add them as well
- Grind the mustard seed before adding
- Now add in salt and oil
- Now add the dry mangoes and coat the masala well, using your hand
- If you find the masala to be dry pour some more oil
- Mix well and store in an airtight container
- Use it after a week
- Store at room temperature stays good for years if kept in an airtight container or else refrigerate it.
How to use khatai?
Use them in your dals and khichadi.